Saturday, July 14, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Cash Cow

With its Wednesday opening, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix raked in over $44 million dollars*, knocking Spider-Man 2 out of the top mid-week launch by about $4 million. The final book in the phenomenally successful series hits shelves on July 21. I haven't seen the film myself, but I do intend to after the initial mobs subside.

I used to never miss what I consider a "big" movie opening, but nowadays I just get too annoyed with the mass of people around me answering cell phones, kicking the back of my seat, walking in front of me and generally being a nuisance during the entire experience. Not to mention the Cinemuck and the guarantee (factored into my ticket price) that a lone Gummi Bear conspiciously stuck to the screen will stick out like a sore thumb and cause me to completely lose all interest in the film while I ponder how long it's been there, what flavor it is, where it was thrown from, has anyone else noticed it...and if I have enough cash left to purchase said confection myself.

Speaking of concession items these days...you know there's a problem when the cashiers try to convince you to upgrade from a large. I mean, Jesus Christ, it's a LARGE! Just how big do these friggin' sizes get now?! Considering it's cheaper to buy a third world country than the gargantuan-size Tub-O-Corn and bladder-buster Jug-O-Soda I'm probably better off waiting until I can watch it in relative peace and economic comfort of the small screen in my living room.

And throw Jujubees at my girlfriend.


*Box office figures gathered from Box Office Mojo

No comments: